Fold
Fold
Fold
Fold
Fold

Inspiration
Fold is part of a continuing series of work that questions the materiality of clay when passed through the specific steps of a making process. By following the process Repetition¬–Fold– Compression–Cut, the artist intends to explore the idea of duality, such as distortion vs precision, and attempt to hold a narrative of the making process through the immediate mark-making qualities of clay. The forms will be the result of the interaction of the artist’s action, the manipulation of the clay using bespoke tools and the properties of the material.
The piece will be a large Parian porcelain sculpture with stacked compressed/folded layers and cut through the centre. The layers will be coloured in a gradation from blue to white to emphasise the implied tension of the process, building up from the base. The centre void will hold a selection of tightly packed cylinders in different sizes.

Outline of the creative process
The piece will be created using 35kg of clay. Similar to production throwing, batches of airtight spheres with incised lines will be compressed, releasing the air pressure, folded and stacked one on top of the other. The stack will then be cut through its core using a press and a metal tube cutting tool. The cut is a quick ‘swift’ action that forces further distortion to the stacked forms and creates an opposing precise interior surface in reference to a vessel.
The excess clay core will be put back into the process to produce a group of cylinders that are formed from throwing clay inside the cutting tool. These will be arranged in the core interior.
The piece will then undergo a slow drying process inside a plaster lined drying cupboard. It is then slow fired to bisque and sanded down. The final firing is taken to the self glazing melting point of the Parian clay and left to cool. Further grinding, assembly and cleaning is carried out before the sculpture is complete.

Time required to create the work
8 weeks


Fold

Regular price
£1,150.00
Sale price
£1,150.00
Unit price
per 

By Steven Edwards

Tax included and free shipping across the UK.

The price listed here is the full price, of which you pay 25% now and the remaining 75% upon receipt of the finished work.

Medium: Parian Porcelain

Size: 30cm high, 30cm wide, 50cm deep

  • Questions or requests? Contact us here
  • Inspiration
    Fold is part of a continuing series of work that questions the materiality of clay when passed through the specific steps of a making process. By following the process Repetition¬–Fold– Compression–Cut, the artist intends to explore the idea of duality, such as distortion vs precision, and attempt to hold a narrative of the making process through the immediate mark-making qualities of clay. The forms will be the result of the interaction of the artist’s action, the manipulation of the clay using bespoke tools and the properties of the material.
    The piece will be a large Parian porcelain sculpture with stacked compressed/folded layers and cut through the centre. The layers will be coloured in a gradation from blue to white to emphasise the implied tension of the process, building up from the base. The centre void will hold a selection of tightly packed cylinders in different sizes.

    Outline of the creative process
    The piece will be created using 35kg of clay. Similar to production throwing, batches of airtight spheres with incised lines will be compressed, releasing the air pressure, folded and stacked one on top of the other. The stack will then be cut through its core using a press and a metal tube cutting tool. The cut is a quick ‘swift’ action that forces further distortion to the stacked forms and creates an opposing precise interior surface in reference to a vessel.
    The excess clay core will be put back into the process to produce a group of cylinders that are formed from throwing clay inside the cutting tool. These will be arranged in the core interior.
    The piece will then undergo a slow drying process inside a plaster lined drying cupboard. It is then slow fired to bisque and sanded down. The final firing is taken to the self glazing melting point of the Parian clay and left to cool. Further grinding, assembly and cleaning is carried out before the sculpture is complete.

    Time required to create the work
    8 weeks