Anette Mill's Biography and Portfolio
After completing a BA(hons) in the History of Modern Arts and Design and a successful career in education, Annette achieved a MA Textiles at the University for the Creative Arts in 2018. She exhibited at the London Design Festival and was shortlisted for Rising Stars 2019 - a platform for emerging makers.
Annette completed a year as Artist in Residence at UCA, Farnham in 2019 and was also completed a textile art residency at Textílmidstöd in Blönduós, Iceland in May of that year.
She is a member of the artists’ collective Transition and regularly curates and exhibits with this group. Annette lives and works in Hampshire and is currently, studying for a practiced based PhD with UCA/UAL researching into how artists can catalyse the epiphany moment during their creative process.
Annette researches and incorporates traditional basketry techniques to create dynamic and tactile sculptural forms. She works with a variety of plants which she mainly grows or gathers from the wild e.g. daffodils, iris, grasses, rush and willow. Using these plants, Annette makes cordage, braids or fibres to weave or stitch. By combining them with the ancient techniques of looping and twining she creates baskets with a contemporary twist.
Her work is concerned with the haptic and concepts linked to transitional space. How the haptic qualities of basketry connect with others through the shared use of materials and techniques.
Currently, Annette is developing work which considers the nature of vessels and the ideas around contained and inhabited spaces. She is exploring the interface between basketry and ceramics taking her lead from the materiality of the mediums when working between these two disciplines.
Shortlisted for Rising Stars 2019 Newashgate Gallery, Farnham.
- Transition - Chichester Oxmarket Gallery Chichester. November 2019.
- AiR – Artists in Residence 2019 Foyer Gallery Farnham. October 2019.
- Awakening Leith Hill Place (NT). May 2019.
- The Latchkey is Always Out. Syning I Bilskurs Galleri Textílmidstöd Blönduos, Iceland. May 2019.
- Rising Stars Newashgate Gallery March 2019.
- Transition – Henley Old Fire Station Gallery Henley-upon-Thames. January 2019.
- Transition. London Design Festival, Espacio Gallery London. September 2018.
- MA Graduate Show James Hockey Gallery, Farnham. August 2018
- Stories in the Making. Craft Study Centre Farnham June 2017.
- Heathland Artworks. Farnham. June 2017.
'Stories in the Makin',g Craft Study Centre, Farnham (2017)
'Fibre Art', Now Magazine Spring (2019)