Kendall Clarke's Biography and Portfolio
Kendall makes two- and three-dimensional textiles for exhibition and installation. Her work is characterized by fineness and detail. She uses painting, mark-making, erasure and other techniques during the process of weaving to produce structurally-complex multi-layered pieces. Each piece is concept-led and driven by experimentation with materials. She is fascinated by written as well as visual language, particularly ancient scripts and gestural marks, and how the passage of time complicates and frustrates our attempts at understanding them.
Kendall was the winner of the Cockpit Arts/Arts Society Award 2019 and now works from their Deptford studios making work for exhibition and installation. She was runner-up in the 2019 Vlieseline Fine Art Textile Award and exhibits her work in the UK and internationally. She has an MA in Woven Textiles and is a Full Member of the Society of Designer Craftsmen.
- Cockpit Arts/Arts Society Award 2019
- Vlieseline Fine Arts Textile Award (Runner-Up, Highly Commended)
- New Beat, International Student Competition, International Shibori Symposium (winner)
- Connected, Oxo Gallery, London, 2019 (group)
- Vlieseline Fine Art Textile Award, 2019, London, Dublin, Birmingham, Harrogate (group)
- Transition, Espacio Gallery, London 2018 (group)
- New Beat, Arimatsu, Japan, 2018
- Stories in the Making, Crafts Study Centre, Farnham, 2017 (group)
- Kendall Clarke: Woven Textiles, Bloomsbury Design, London, 2015 (solo)
- Dyeing Now: Contemporary Makers Celebrate the Legacy of Ethel Mairet, Ditchling Museum of Art and Craft. (2019)
- Stories in the Making, Crafts Study Centre, Farnham. (2017)